We offer revision classes at GCSE or A-Level on the texts listed below. These are currently all led by Steve Eddy, who has written or series-edited study guides for these texts, as indicated.
- Of Mice and Men (Philip Allan study guide)
- An Inspector Calls (Cross Academe classroom ‘magazine’ and teacher resource)
- The Woman in Black (Cross Academe ‘magazine’ and teacher resource; not yet published)
- Macbeth (Hodder study guide)
- To Kill a Mockingbird (series editor, Philip Allan study guide)
- Lord of the Flies (series editor, Philip Allan study guide)
- Othello (Hodder/WHS)
- The Tempest (Hodder, not yet published)
- Poems of the Brontës (York Notes study guide)
- Wuthering Heights (Hodder, The Brontës: A Beginner’s Guide, now published in Kindle as Introducing the Brontės)
- Lyrical Ballads, including The Ancient Mariner (York Notes study guide)
Typical revision session
- Some background to the text - including cultural and historical context
- Reminder of plot and structure - focusing on how the structure works
- Key quotes, and what they reveal - tests, using quotes with Point, Evidence, Explanation
- Themes and how they interact (e.g. in Of Mice and Men, loneliness and friendship)
- Tackling typical exam questions for your board (e.g. passage-related, and whole-text essays)
- Grade boosting: from D to C, and from B to A - Assessment Objectives, what examiner is looking for
Prices and times
Classes can be after school or during school time. With larger groups (likely in school time) the session may be less interactive.
1 hour £70.00 + VAT
1 ½ hours £90.00 + VAT
Reduced rate for longer or repeated sessions. Please contact.
Travel expenses of £0.35 a mile are extra.
written by teachers and examiners;
tailored to the requirements of each awarding body.